His tweets, his Facebook statuses, and our interview, confirmed my assumptions; Percy Ollie Jr., better known as PJ, ALWAYS puts God first.
I am intrigued by PJ as a Success Formula because he radiates positive energy and kindness. Everyone that I know likes PJ. They enjoy his humble personality, subtle humor, and that he ALWAYS has a camera ready to capture once in a lifetime moments.
Photography is about more than taking pictures for the young entrepreneur; it allows PJ to give back to his community. As a photographer, PJ captures every day people’s lives while being able to shoot a variety of community events that focus on children and family.
With a formal degree in finance, PJ works with others to help them financially as they strive to achieve their life goals. He is a board member of the Young Men’s Educational Network and makes it a priority to actively participate in programs that give back to youth. PJ’s idea of community development involves personal growth that allows one to add to, and “encourage the younger generation”.
As a young person, PJ’s community invested in him. PJ first learned about life planning in 7th grade while attending the Christian camp, Kids Across America (KAA). It was at KAA that PJ was nominated to become a member of the “Im Third” program.The founding principles of the “I’m Third” program were- God first, others second, and I’m third. PJ’s life plans focus on these principles and he reviews his written life plans annually, revising his one-year, three-year, and five-year plans to enhance the success and challenges of the previous.
Although exposed to life planning early on, PJ admits to becoming more serious about the action planning of his goals during junior year of college, when his parents reminded him that his lifeline to their financial pockets would soon end. PJ says, “I started envisioning myself in the places I wanted to be and started to surround myself with people that were doing what I wanted to do. It really got real once I stopped getting help from my parents.”
On a weekly basis, PJ’s website is filled with new and timeless photographs. He is definitely one of the hardest working people I know. Working towards his goals from last year, he has successfully found ways to decrease his time with clients by delivering more quality products on the front-end, having to make fewer adjustments later. PJ is strategically planning for the growth of his business, Ollie Photography, by growing and mentoring a team of photographers.
During our interview I was able to find out about the work practices and habits that are leading to his increased notoriety. When asked about overcoming procrastination, PJ proudly responded, “I have 17 nieces and nephews. They watch everything I do. I cannot fail. I have too many people depending on me. The little ones are always looking for me to be the example. A lot of my nieces and nephews do not have father figures so I fulfill this role. They will ask me questions if they see me slacking. I do not have the option of failing.”
Reading the bible every morning is part of his daily routine. PJ also strives to live a balanced life by exercising three or more times a week and eating healthy meals as well as talking to family/friends regularly. He also feels that is it crucial to have a companion or loved one to provide regular feedback on the progress and outcomes of your goals.
When I asked PJ what was his greatest asset, he said “My belief in God. I don’t think anything reaches close to that. I believe that from having a personal relationship with God I have been able to make good on my talents and the relationships I have been able to establish. My commitment to this belief is my greatest asset.”
I most admire PJ’s respect for relationships. He ALWAYS interacts with people in a congenial fashion, thus leading to unprecedented success by word of mouth.
Percy Ollie Jr.’s Success Formula = God first + Relationship building + Acceptance of responsibility to his family
More on Percy Ollie Jr. (PJ)
What is in your life preparedness kit?
- Cell phone, because my bible and my devotionals are on my cell phone as well as the internet, my calendar, and email (which is basically how I manage my business); multiple cameras.
Do you have any regrets?
- NONE. I really think everything is a learning lesson. Prepare for whatever it is you want to do in life. Always be prepared.
- Read the bible in 365 days beginning Sunday May 8th 2011- May 8th 2012
- Add 1 new photographer and an intern to photography team by the end of 2011
- Launch new website by the close of 2011
Percy Ollie, Jr. of Ollie Photography, Inc www.olliephotography.com
Update 7.11.11- From Percy Ollie Jr.
- I’m delayed on my SMART goal of completing my bible in 365 day. I am currently only on day 7 so, I’m about 2-3 weeks behind. The good news I’ve done the hardest part of getting started and I plan on picking up momentum to get caught up. Additionally, I’ve began 2 other devotionals that are assisting with my understanding.
- Still in search of additional photographer
- I have 1 intern secured and in the process of allocating responsibilities
Additionally, I have 2 other potential candidates
- I last worked on the content for my new webpage about 2 weeks ago so, I haven’t been as progressive as I would like to be in order to reach my goal. This week I will be creating a new plan to track my progress so, that I’m able to stay ahead of schedule.
- Success Formula’s: What I Have Learned Part 2 (ashleyscwalls.com)